martedì 28 settembre 2010

BRIAN KIRHAGIS


MR. CARTER.
Acrylic & Elmer's Glue on canvas. 30 x 40". 2010.



Hi Brian, where were you born?

I was born in Baltimore, Maryland.


Where do you live now?

Physically I live in Mineola, NY, which is on Long Island, just outside of NYC.
But most of the time I live inside my head, sorting through all of the madness...



BP = Bad Problem. Acrylic on canvas. 70 x 40". 2010.



Where are you planning to live your life?

In the near future, I want to move into manhattan, to get an apartment and a studio. After that, lets see where life takes me.



PRAY FOR HIP HOP
Acrylic on canvas. 30 x 40". 2008.



What do you do for living?

I am self employed, designing websites and doing graphic design for a range of different clients.
I also sell as much of my work as possible, from original paintings, limited edition giclees, and posters. I work in the studio all day, where my Mac is never far from an easel.
This way, my whole day consists of painting, drawing, and designing…is some way shape or form.


Circle or squares?

Circles. Its the building block for all life. (Vesica Pisces) So if you really get down to it, all squares are made from circles anyway...



SOCIALITE
Acrylic on canvas. 48 x 48". 2010.



Describe your art as if you were an art critic.

Hmmm, I think a critic would describe my work as raw. My technique could improve, but my content and composition are strong.
I always have a lot going on, with hidden images and symbolic elements embedded within the larger images.



EVERY LITTLE THING.
Acrylic on canvas. 66 x 40". 2010.



Describe your art as it is for you.

For me, being an artist and having the ability to create is a blessing. When I set out to create a piece of art, its not just about painting something pretty, or aesthetically pleasing.
I want to challenge myself to create something meaningful, whether it be relevant to my own experiences, or society's experience as a whole.
Art has a unique ability to communicate when words falls short… it truly is a universal language.



A REASON TO HOLD.
Acrylic on wood. 50 x 50". 2009.



First thought of the day.

What needs to be done.



WE WON'T BE PUPPETS.
Acrylic on canvas. 70 x 40". 2010.



How much do colors count in your paintings?

I think the use of color has been an integral part of my work.
Color can be used in so many ways, and a strong understanding of color theory is vital to any good artist. Its comparable to a good writer who possesses an extensive vocabulary. The more words you know, the better you can express your thoughts.
The same holds true for color…



CAUTIOUS CONSCIOUS.
Acrylic on wood. 50 x 50". 2009.


What's your latest work?

Funny story, and I guess a great follow up to the color question.
Lately, I am removing all color from my palette, and going back to black and white. I think it is symbolic for me in a lot of ways. Sometimes color confuses things, in society, and in art.
When you take it all away, you are down to the raw essentials, the roots. Thats where I want to be.
The greatest writers make the most profound statements with the fewest and simplest words, why can't I do the same with my art?



B & W in progress...



website:
http://www.brikart.net/

Nessun commento: