lunedì 15 giugno 2009

13 MIKE EGAN 31


"Feeling Good", 2009.
12"X12"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.Sold.



Mike, your bio is very unusual. You took a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 2000 and then a Diploma as Funeral Director and embalmer in 2002. How have you mixed art with death?


Working in funeral homes definitely help to influence my artwork. Not only was I working in the prep rooms but I got to see lots of cemeteries and churches. It really was a natural transition.



"Killing Myself", 2009. 12"X12"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.Sold.



You paint on wood panels and stretched canvases by using acrylic paint, shellac and sandpaper. What kind of effect does the wood give to your paintings?


Working on wood is nice because I get let the wood grain show through the paint. Also I’ll use pieces of wood that have big chunks taken out of them. It adds to the aged look that I’m going for.



"13 Dead Lovers", 2009.
14"X10"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.Sold.



"Cry Baby", 2009.
12"X12"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel. Not Available.



What are the main sources of your inspiration?



Well, the day of the dead is a huge influence. I also worked in funeral homes for several years as an embalmer. I really love old stained glass windows in churches too.



"3 of a kind", 2009
24"X24"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.
Not Available.




"Time For Rest", 2007.
24"X24"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.
Sold.


Your works are so very recognizable, that’s why there seems to be a sort of link between each of them. What do you do to make each painting different from the previous one?


Lately I’ve been trying to work on different compositions. For some reason I’ve been wanting to stack colored blocks and I’m working on doing some crazy colored haloes.



"I Feel Lost", 2009.
14"X10"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.



Do you like number 13 and 7? Any reason?


I use 13 and 7 as lucky numbers. I actually have them tattooed all over me. I’ll use 77 because it’s the year that I was born. It’s my way of putting myself into my work.


"Bad Luck 13", 2008.
12"X12"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.
Sold.


Same for symbols.


I’m a Catholic, so I tend to use a lot of crosses and sacred hearts. I love religious art no matter what religion it is.



"My Church Coat", 2009
12"X12"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.
Sold.



Are you a skeater? I saw a picture of a skateboard customized by you among your works.


I used to skate when I was younger. Back when skate decks were nice and big. That was actually a huge influence on me as an artist. The graphics on skateboard decks were amazing back then. I remember trying to copy them in my sketch books.



"Skate or die". Sold.



How do you match colors? Got a fixed scheme?


I don’t really have a set way of doing things. I generally will lay down a color and if it doesn’t work I’ll just paint over it. That’s a good way to build up texture.


"I Heard You Dying", 2008.
12"X12"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.
Sold.



Any plan for the next future?


I have a show in Lancaster and Pittsburgh, both in Pennsylvania this year. I’m currently working with Hawthorne Heights to do the art for their next album. Next year, I have shows scheduled in Seattle, Albuquerque and Philadelphia.



"Bleed For Me", 2007.
24"X24"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.
Sold.


Tell me a lie.


I hate you!!!



"Our Love Will Never Die", 2008.
16"X12"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.
Not For Sale.




"Goodbye My Friend", 2008.
12"X12"
Acrylic and Shellac on Wood Panel.
Not for Sale.

Nessun commento: